The Bavarian National Museum is among one of the most important cultural history museums in entire Europe. The building is stood tall in the style of historism by Gabriel von Seidl 1894-1900 and is the most original and significant museum building of that time and era. The building is situated at the Prinzregentenstrasse, which is among one of the city’s four royal avenues. The museum at the time was constructed at the place of an older building; presently, it houses the State Museum of Ethnology. The museum was established by the king Maximilian II of Bavaria in 1855. It keeps an entire big house with collection of European artifacts from the late antiquity till the early 20th century. From the start, the entire collection is equally divided into two main groups as the art historical collection and the folklore collection.
While at the back side of the museum, there is located the house of the Bavarian State Archaeological Collection (Archäologische Staatssammlung) as from the very first settlement as occurred during the Paleolithic Ages through the Celtic civilization and the Roman period till the early Middle Ages. The art historical collection there shows the artworks in a tour as kept in about forty rooms as ranging from the hall for late antiquity and Romanesque art through the rooms for Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and Rococo art to the exhibits of Classicism and Art Nouveau.
Among the exhibits in the museum the prominent ones include the things like one as ivory reliefs, goldsmith works, textiles, glass painting, tapestries and shrines. There on show remain the sculptures as developed by the prominent sculptors like Erasmus Grasser, Tilman Riemenschneider, Hans Multscher, Hans Leinberger, Adam Krafft, Giovanni Bologna, Hubert Gerhard, Adriaen de Vries, Johann Baptist Straub, Ferdinand Tietz, Ignaz Günther, Matthias Steinl, and Ludwig Schwanthaler. The museum is too poplar for its collections of courtly culture, musical instruments, furnitures, oil paintings, sketches, clocks, stoneware, majolica, miniatures, porcelain and faience. It is about the world’s best collection of the Nymphenburg porcelain figures of Franz Anton Bustelli (1723-63). At the western direction of the museum is located The Bollert Collection having the late medieval sculptures and paintings. The Folklore collection there keeps the conventional Bavarian furnitures, rural pottery, crockery and religious folklore involving the extraordinary collection of Neapolitan, Sicilian, Tyrolian and Bavarian Wood Carvings with street scenes and Nativity Scenes.