Archive for June, 2010

Monuments and other important landmarks in Brussels

Tuesday, June 15th, 2010

Being as capital of Belgium, Brussels undoubtedly is a place filled with a good number of places of attractions and landmarks as to lure travelers towards it. Brussels is the city filled with amazement and a number of attractions and there is something for everyone who is touring through the city. In order to better understand city of Brussels you can better learn about the city by touring landmarks existing there.

•    Grand Place: The Grand Place is a central square of Brussels situated at city’s TownHall and the Breadhouse. The square is the most important tourist destination and most memorable landmark in Brussels situated along the Atomium and Manneken Pis. Its measurement is around 68 by 110 metres and is considered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  In the 10th century, Charles, Duke of Lower Lorraine made a fort on Saint-Géry Island at the point, where the Senne river apparently navigable.  By the end of the 11th century, there an open-air marketplace was developed on a dried-out marsh near the fort which was surrounded by sandbanks. There a tradition developed where an enormous “flower carpet” that is set up in the Grand Place for a few days. There around a million begonias is setup in pattern shows in covers a full 24 by 77 meters.

Grand Palace

Grand Palace

•    Parc du Cinquantenaire: Also named as Jubilee Park it is a larges urban park in the easternmost part of Brussels. Most of the building in the park as U-Shaped dominates the activities were constructed by the King Leopold II for the 1880 National Exhibition celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of Belgian independence.

Its primary center of attraction is triumphal arc that was erected in 1905. The structures were made up of iron, glass and stone showed up the economic and industrial performance of Belgium. Its 30 hectare park is filled with picturesque gardens, ponds and waterfalls. It is known for organizing various fairs, exhibitions and festival of the century. The Royal Military Museum is one of the attractions of the northern complex since 1880. The southern half is currently occupied by the Cinquantenaire Art Museum and the AutoWorld Museum. The Temple of Human Passions, a remainder from 1886, and the Great Mosque of Brussels from 1978 are situated at the north western corner of the park.

•    Quartier Royal: Once this huge mansion type building was used as the residential palace of Belgian Royalty yet presently the case is totally different. Entire building Quartier Royal with grand and handsome grounds was destroyed by a fire in 1731 before the buildings were reconstructed in the 19th century.
The Quartier Royal now houses the Palais Royal, Palais de la Nation and Palais des Academies. The Palais Royal is the largest of the palaces within Quartier Royal and is a fine throne room. For public viewing it remains open to the public in between from July and September and is worth visiting.

•    Cathedrale Sts Michel et Gudule: The St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral is a Roman Catholic church at the Treurenberg hill in Brussels, Belgium. In 1047, Lambert II, Count of Leuven founded a chapter in this church and organized the transportation of the relics of Saint Gudula. In the thirteenth century, the cathedral was renovated to the Gothic style. There in the church the choir was constructed between 1226 and 1276 and the entire façade was completed around mid-fifteenth century. It is situated in the national capital and so mostly used as in Catholic ceremonies of national interest like royal marriages and state funerals.

cathedrale stsmiche let gudule

cathedrale stsmiche let gudule

•    Palais d’Egmont: This is a very huge mansion at the  the Wolstraat / Rue aux Laines and the Kleine Zavel / Petit Sablon in Brussels, Belgium. Presently in the building there is situated Belgian ministry if foreign affairs. It was constructed by Françoise of Luxembourg and her son, Lamoral, Count of Egmont, first in Flemish Gothic style, later Renaissance in 1848 and 1860. However, in 1891the entire building was reconstructed in uniform classical style. Presently this building is used for receptions and meetings by the Belgian Ministry of foreign affairs.

Palais de egmont

Palais de egmont

•    Le Sablon District: The Grand Sablon is at the center of antique dealer’s district and is filled with enough activities containing famous antiques and book market. The rue de la Régence as laid in the 19th century, leads one to the Royal Fine Arts Museums. This artistically rich city is divided into two parts, The Museum of Ancient Art provides an excellent choice of paintings from the Master of the 14th and 15th century “Primitive School”.

•    Atomium: It is a structure that was made during the Expo 58, the 1958 Brussels World Fair and was designed by Ander Waterkeyn, this is around 102 meters tall structure, with nine spheres connected around the entire structure and form it shows an iron crystal magnified 165 billion times. Tubes connecting the spheres along the 12 edges of the cube and all eight vertices to center enclose the spheres along the 12 edges of the cube and all eight vertices to the centre. Each vertex there is about 18 meters in diameter.

Atomium

Atomium

Search Hotels in Brussels

Check-in date

Check-out date

Blogroll